Emergency Classification Levels & Responsibilities
There are 4 levels of incident management and response to industrial accidents that the public should be aware of.
An incident has occurred and can be controlled by facility personnel. The situation is under control.
- An incident has occurred, the situation is not under control but is confined to a small area or to a fixed-site and does not pose a threat of spreading to a larger area or off-site.
- The Texas City Fire Department is on site and providing assistance.
An incident has occurred, the situation is not under control and protective action may be necessary for the surrounding or offsite area. Additional IMAS aid may be needed.
The Emergency Operations Center is activated and the Siren warning is given to the Public.
The situation is often fluid and up-to-date information can be obtained by using these stations as they often have live broadcasts of the event:
- Channel 16 and Radio Station 530 AM are constantly informing the Public of the status of the incident.
- You may also want to view any major television station in the Houston area for updates.
- An incident has occurred and the situation is not under control.
- Actions by more than 1st responders or facility personnel are necessary.
- An incident involving a severe hazard or a large area which poses an extreme threat to life and property and will probably require an evacuation
May require the expertise and resources of:
- The I.M.A.S.
- Neighboring cities
- Private agencies / organizations
When you hear the emergency sirens:
- Go indoors.
- Shut all windows and doors.
- Turn off the air conditioning.
- Turn on the radio to 530 AM or TV Cable Channel 16 for information.
- Stay off the telephone.
- You may also want to use any major television station in the Houston area for updates.
The situation is often fluid and up-to-date information can be obtained by using these stations as they often have live broadcasts of the event.
Know the Siren Signals
- High - low - high - low - high - low - high - low - high - low: Go Indoors
- Single frequency continuous tone: All Clear
Siren tests are performed every Wednesday at 12 Noon.