La Marque Fire Marshal David Merryman share Cold Weather Safety Tips as the Arctic Blast makes its way to La Marque in February 2021.
A message from La Marque Fire Marshal David Merryman:
With the freezing weather coming here are some important safety tips for staying warm and safe during this Arctic Blast
- Check batteries in or install carbon monoxide sensors and smoke detectors
- Do not use your stove or oven to heat your home
- Make sure all heaters are clear of obstructions and away from flammable materials
- Please make sure space heaters are off before going to bed
- Maintain a distance of at least 3 feet or more from any open flame heaters
- Check fireplace flues for obstructions prior to lighting fires
Please stay safe, La Marque. Remember the 4 Ps:
- PEOPLE: Make a plan to keep your family warm. Check on elderly relatives and neighbors who may need extra blankets, help winterizing their homes or a warm place to stay.
- PETS: Animals get cold, too! Bring pets inside to keep them healthy and safe during freezing conditions.
- PIPES: Cover or wrap exposed pipes to help prevent freezing and water line breaks.
- PLANTS: If you're worried about your plants, either cover them or bring them inside to protect them from the freeze.